On Wednesday 7 September we hosted our fourth Girl Geek Dinner Cape Town at the gorgeous Savoy Cabbage restaurant.
A huge thank you to everyone who contributed to make this an extra special event:
– Suhaifa Naidoo from Realm Digital for organising (once again) some amazing goodie bags
– Our gorgeous, smart and inspirational guest speaker, Rapelang Rabana
– Gadget reviewer, Mandy Watson
– Venue scout, Alexandra Fraser; photographer, Elodie Kleynhans; and sound engineer, Justin Alvey
– Our sponsors: Chef Sam Cakes, TEP, Ster Kinekor, New Holland Publishing and Van Wealth Portfolio Management
Event photos available here.
Please diarise Thursday 3 November 2011 for our next event.
Below is an event review by the gorgeous Robyn Hobson:
12 Sep 2011
I checked out the Spring Girl Geek Dinner in Cape Town last week. It was my first time at this increasingly popular event and yes, everyone dresses like they’re French Royalty, looks like Kirsten Dunst and has a fancy butler to hold their Macbook. The dinner is basically a meet up for all the fabulously geeky girls in Cape Town and this one was held at the Savoy Cabbage.
Hats off to Mariska for organising this. It was painfully obvious that a woman had organised this event. Sorry guys, but like pregnancy, you just can’t beat us on this one. The attention to detail, the planning, the execution and the pretty things we were given were all appreciated.
The goodie bags rocked my socks and the cupcakes from Chef Sam were amazing. They honestly tasted as good as they looked. In fact, a lot of convo was dedicated to how we could nick the extra ones.
We were stoked to see that Rapelang Rabana was the key speaker. I heard her speak at NetProphet and find her an incredibly inspirational woman. I was glad to get the chance to meet her. She’s down to earth and just awesome really. Girl Crush alert.
I took two key points away from her talk:
1. You can’t outsource your competitive advantage and expect it to work out
2. Don’t mess around. Make a decision.
It was really cool to meet up with old friends and meet some new ones. I know that sounds swiss-cheddar-cheesey, but it really is true.
So keep an eye out for the next one. I’d recommend GGDCPT to any geeky girl who wants to do a bit of networking, find a bit of inspiration and have a few laughs with some really awesome woman.
Plus you may even get a cupcake… or two.
*image sourced here